A nutritionist has aired his concerns around using microwaves, which he wholeheartedly believes are dangerous to health.
Food and fitness nutritionist Rick Hay claims that carcinogenic toxins leak out of the plastic containers which microwave meals come in, and end up in our food.
He told the Mail Online: “Obviously the more you use the microwave the higher your exposure to these potentially harmful chemicals.”
According to Hay, the toxins leak from the plastic packaging into the food, and then into your digestive system when you eat it.
He explained that the toxins “put pressure” on the digestive system and immune system, which can effect fertility, hormone balance, blood pressure, cardio vascular health, mood and libido.
To combat this issue, it is recommended to pour the contents of your microwave meal into a microwaveable glass bowl and then heat it.
Speaking to The Huffington Post UK, Kofi Aidoo, Professor of Food Science from Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU), said: “Microwaving food in plastics can result in the production of organic compounds that could have a detrimental effect on human health.”
He noted that more research is needed “on the release of these compounds when they come into contact with foods during cooking and microwaving”.
Rick Hay added that radiation emitted from microwaves is also a cause for concern. In fact, constant exposure can “affect sleep patterns, concentration, energy levels and concentration”, he said.
But according to the World Health Organisation, microwave ovens are perfectly safe to use, as long as they are “used according to manufacturers’ instructions”.
They add, however, that if your microwave is damaged, dirty or modified, it could leak microwave energy which can then be absorbed by the body and produce heat in exposed tissues.
“Organs with a poor blood supply and temperature control, such as the eye, or temperature-sensitive tissue like the testes, have a higher risk of heat damage,” said WHO’s website.